Concept Design for the Ropeway Crossings
Definition of problems:
Traditional rope-way crossings in Himachal Pradesh comprise of manually driven trolleys. Typically, such a system consists of a loading cable stretched across the river, a trolley hanged on it and a rope extending on both sides of the trolley as shown in the photograph. Although
simple, this system requires cumbersome efforts even from a very healthy user. Also, there are risks of trolley-
overturning and injury to the user due to trapping of hand in pulleys. Apart from this, the system does not work for
differential level crossing as there is no mechanised control on the motion of the trolley.
Thus, there is a strong need to develop a low-cost and efficient system to facilitate river-crossing in the remote areas. We are taking a step forward to improve the system and thus posing the following two conditions of river crossing for concept design.
1) Level crossing.
2) Differential crossing.
We hereby invite individuals to develop the concept designs of ropeway systems for above conditions.
Concept Design constrains:
- The span of the river crossing can be considered as 75m.
- Level difference between both ends for the differential crossing can be considered as 35m.
- Level crossing should be manually driven.
- Differential crossing should be motor driven.
- A minimum seating capacity of 2 and a maximum of 6 persons can be considered.
- Both problems should be attempted by a team or individual to qualify for the competition.
What is a concept design?
Concept Design: Conceptual design is an art which focuses on the hypothetical functionalities of the subject. In conceptual design, a novel product is created which can be used either directly or after some modification to create a final working
Functionality requirements of a product can be divided into different heads which are known as functions. As an example some of the functions of ropeway system are listed below.
- Driving mechanism
- Supports for system
- Loading and unloading platforms
- Safety features etc.
There can be many other function. Each design function can be divided into sub functions. Each sub function needs a concept to be developed for it and assemblage of all the concepts towards a product is known as concept design. Some example for the Sub functions of a Trolley are given below:
- Support of trolley on rope
- Size and shape of trolley
- Seating arrangements
- Doors and windows
- Loading and unloading arrangements etc.
Students of Diploma in Engineering, B.E/B.Tech or M.E./M.Tech. from any recognised university or college can participate in the design competition. The problems can be addressed either by any individual or by a team of individuals. Maximum members in the team are restricted to 4.
- The report should include write up (max. 1000 words) in the standard format provided.
- CAD model for each problem.
- Signed honesty statement in the format provided.
One should submit his work in hard or in soft copy by 15th January 2017. Result will be declared by 20rd January 2017. Selected groups will have to present their work at IIT Mandi on 4th February 2017.
One should submit his work in hard or in soft copy by 15th January 2017.
The email ID is email@example.com